Reporting Interpersonal Violence to the University

The decision to report to the University is entirely up to the survivor. Support people should take care to really discuss the wishes of a survivor before encouraging/discouraging any type of report. Some survivors say that reporting and seeking justice helped them recover and regain a sense of control over their lives. Other survivors report feeling unheard and revictimized by reporting. Understanding how to report and learning more about the experience can take away some of the unknowns and help you feel more prepared.

How do I report interpersonal violence to the University?

You have the ability to report to the university when the perpetrator is affiliated with the University (student, employee, etc.). It is important to know that the offices below are not confidential resources. If you are looking to talk with a confidential resource you can meet with an advocate at the WGAC.

  • If the perpetrator is a CSU student, you would contact the Office of Title IX Programs – (970) 491-1715. If you would like more information about the Office of Title IX Programs, you can visit their website at
  • If the perpetrator is not a CSU student but is a CSU employee, you would contact the Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) at 970-491-5836. For more information about the Office of Equal Opportunity, you can visit
  • If you are not sure which one to contact, please feel free to talk with an advocate at the WGAC.

What does the process of reporting look like?

If the you choose to report to Office of Title IX Programs:

  • After reporting to the Office of Title IX Programs an investigation will begin. Interim measures may be put in place during the investigation up until the outcome of the final hearing. Interim measures may include, but are not limited to, no contact orders, temporary suspension or campus expulsion. These measures are in place to protect you during the investigation process. The investigation usually takes about 30-60 days but can be shorter or longer that that time period.
  • After the investigation takes place, the Student Resolution Center will receive the information gathered during the investigation and schedule a hearing date. A hearing is a one-on-one meeting where a conduct hearing officer will meet with the perpetrator (CSU’s process refers to perpetrators as responding parties). You have options in how you would like to participate in the hearing. The hearing officer or an advocate at the WGAC can help walk you through your options.

Common questions or concerns about reporting

If you have questions or concerns about reporting, you are not alone.

If I report to the University, do I have to report to law enforcement?

Reporting to the University and reporting to law enforcement are two different processes. The survivor can choose to report to one and not the other or can choose to not report. In some instances, the University and law enforcement may be required to share information. If you have additional question you can call an advocate at the WGAC.

Can I report to the university if the perpetrator is not affiliated with the university?

The university has the ability to hold students, staff, faculty and University affiliates responsible. If the perpetrator is not affiliated with any universities, the survivor still has other reporting options outside of reporting to the university.

What is a mandatory report to the University?

All CSU employees and volunteers including faculty, staff, and students acting in their employment or volunteer roles are designated as responsible employees and are required to report any violations or alleged violations of sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, relationship violence, stalking, and retaliation involving students.

If it is a mandatory report, does that mean I have to participate in the investigation process?

No, you do not have to participate in the reporting process if you prefer not to. The more information the University has about what occurred, the greater likelihood that the University can do something about the incidence of interpersonal violence. The University will move forward, if they can, with the information they have.

Will I have to be in the same room as the perpetrator during the process?

No, you will not have to be in the same room as the perpetrator. During the conduct hearing you will have different options in how you would like to participate. None of the options require you to be in the same room as the perpetrator.

Will I be at risk for Retaliation?

CSU prohibits retaliation against individuals who engage in the protected activity of filing complaints of sexual harassment and sexual violence or who participate in complaint processes. Retaliatory action is regarded as a basis for a separate complaint under the University’s procedures and can lead to sanctions.

How can advocates at the WGAC help?

To learn more about your reporting options, contact an advocate at the WGAC who will walk you through the process of getting help.

At the WGAC, we can help all victims of interpersonal violence, regardless of their decision to report. If you chose not to report, you are still welcome to meet with one of our advocates, attend a support group, receive academic support and access any of our additional resources.

If you chose to report, our advocates can support you throughout the University reporting process, help navigate the process after reporting and accompany the victim throughout the proceedings.